In today’s competitive environment every business needs to have a digital strategy; an online presence. Developing this strategy and prioritizing the tactics is overwhelming, time-consuming, frustrating, and costly. I know because I’ve been there!
Let me be your guide and help you navigate your digital landscape. Together, we can determine your priorities and find the path to reach your business goals. It can be a distraction and a daunting undertaking if you don’t have adequate resources. Your presence online needs to be professional and polished so you are credible, trustworthy, and attract the right customers. If you feel you need help, I’d like to offer my services.
Who Am I
My name is David Sorenson and I’m a marketing professional with extensive product and digital online experience.
- Managed online traffic growth, revenue optimization, and viewer engagement at a consumer medical and health content publishing start-up
- Like to dabble in search engine optimization (SEO) and user experience (UX) – when the two work together, magical things happen
- Easy to work with
My wife and I are raising our two sons, our two German Shorthaired Pointers (GSPs), and a red-eared slider turtle in the coastal community of San Clemente, California.
Where I’ve Been and What I’ve Done
My focus has been on growing traffic for content-rich websites and developing strategies to monetize the traffic through display advertisements, sponsorships, conversions, strategic partnerships, and other programs. I’ve managed marketing, editorial, graphic design, and web development teams as well as products — such as the first quad processor computer server.
I’ve worked in small start-up organizations (MedicineNet, Travora), multinational corporations (Xerox, Canon, NEC, Ansell), an innovative personal computer company (ALR), and the top health information provider (WebMD). In fact, MedicineNet was sold to WebMD in December of 2004.
I was involved in this sale and the transition which became part of the WebMD Owned and Operated network of health and medical consumer sites (MedicineNet.com, MedTerms.com (folded into MedicineNet), eMedicineHealth.com, RxList.com). This network of websites grew rapidly and contributed to half the consumer traffic of WebMD.
I left WebMD in 2012 to work for the now-defunct Travora travel website, then moved to a luxury magazine publisher – DuJour, and most recently I was at Everyday Health Media, LLC (supporting EverydayHealth.com and WhattoExpect.com). Everyday Health was sold to Ziff Davis in December of 2016. I was laid off in January 2017 as part of that acquisition.
This work experience continues to inspire me to work with small to mid-sized companies that don’t have huge budgets, or experience in digital and online marketing. I see business owners who are passionate yet derailed by the overwhelming choices and options in the digital space. There is a need for expert guidance and coaching.
What I’m Doing
I provide consulting to SMBs (small and medium-size businesses) and large media, SaaS, and health organizations in the areas of:
- Organic growth
- Digital strategy
- Content strategy
- Audience acquisition and development
- SaaS marketing
- Conversion optimization
- Project management
- Web analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics / Site Catalyst Omniture)
- Search engine optimization (SEO) website audits
- Product development
- WordPress CMS (Content Management System) implementation and optimization (blogs and websites)
- Training, best practices, mentoring, coaching and development
- Sample of brands/companies I’ve worked with as a consultant:
- Pipedrive.com (SaaS B2B CRM sales automation software)
- MississippiToday.org (digital nonprofit newspaper)
- MSNBC.com, Today.com, NBCNews.com (NBCUniversal)
- vets.gov (merged into va.gov)
- Migraineagain.com (health)
- Healthination.com (video health)
- WBEZ.org (Chicago Public Radio)
- Matadornetwork.com (travel website)
What I Value
- Integrity – being honest, sincere, and committed
- Authenticity – being real, genuine and true to myself
- Creativity – create meaning through imagination, thought, and doing
Give me a shout if you need help. I’m available for consulting, short and long-term projects, working with start-ups, and other interesting work. I would consider permanent opportunities as well.
I look forward to hearing from you.